Criminal Investigations Division Supervisor – Sergeant Darin Smith
The Criminal Investigations Division has the responsibility of investigating all criminal acts committed within the boundaries of Elm Ridge WCID. Each of our detectives receive specialized training and have the experience and expertise to investigate any type of crime. Detectives investigate and follow-up on leads, develop suspects, execute search and arrest warrants, coordinate with other law enforcement agencies, and file appropriate charges with District Attorney for prosecution.
Typical duties for Police Detectives include:
- Contacting and interviewing complainants and witnesses on assigned cases.
- Determining the identity of criminal suspects.
- Preparing probable cause affidavits for arrest and search warrants.
- Executing arrest and search warrants for offenders when possible.
- Preparing case reports for the District Attorney’s office.
- Testifying before Grand Jury’s and Criminal Courts of Law.
- Locating and returning stolen property
- Assisting other law enforcement agencies when required.
- Assisting crime victims with understanding the judicial process.