A Water Control Improvement District …

  • is a political subdivision of the State of Texas.
  • acts much in the same manner as the city council of a large city
  • is governed by a board of five directors who are taxpaying property owners in the district
  • has the power to form and maintain a police department
  • has the authority to levy an ad valorem tax (property tax), to alleviate the costs of constructing and maintaining the public water, sanitary sewer, storm drainage, paving infrastructure within its boundaries
  • sets the tax rate annually, based on assessed property value
  • provides water and waste waste handling services (via contracts with other utility districts)
  • maintains streets, roads, sidewalks and greenbelts within the district
  • contracts with Aubrey and Prosper Fire department for fire and ambulance service
  • holds monthly regular board meetings and special meetings as necessary

When are board members elected?

Board members are elected in May of even-numbered years and serve a 4-year term. A board member must be a taxpaying property owner or a registered voter in the district.

Who can attend Water District Meetings?

All meetings are open to the public and any interested party can attend a water district meeting.

When/where are meetings held?

Monthly meetings are held at 6 pm on the third Thursday of each month at the location listed on the meeting agenda on the Public Documents page.

What do I do about a stray animal?

While Texas has no statewide “leash law,” Elm Ridge WCID does require dog owners to leash pets at all times on District land. In addition, many home owners’ associations have similar prohibitions against pets “running at large” on public property.

For animal control services in unincorporated Denton County (including Arrowbrooke, Artesia, and Savannah), please contact the Denton County Sheriff’s Office at 940-349-1600 or 972-434-5500. Elm Ridge WCID does not provide animal control services.

Animal Control Information and Resources:

Texas Health and Safety Code – Treatment and Disposition of Animals:


Information on Coyotes:


Information on Bobcats:


What is the current tax rate for Elm Ridge?

0.965% per $100 of assessed value

Who is responsible for setting the appraised value of my home?

The Denton County Central Appraisal District is responsible for appraising property in the district for ad alorem tax purposes of each taxing unit that imposes ad valorem taxes on property in the district. 

To learn more about the Denton County Central Appraisal District, click on the link that is below:

What is the District’s policy for addressing ponding or pooling water?

Standing water that remains at a depth of at least two (2) inches for longer than 120 hours after a rain event can be considered for corrective action. Areas of pooling water that do not meet these criteria will not be addressed. If your location does meet the criteria, the repair will be prioritized by our Engineer and placed on a list for repair. All repairs are subject to budgetary constraints. Lower am priority issues may not be repaired until the following budget year.

Am I a resident of Prosper or Aubrey?

Elm Ridge WCID residents live in unincorporated Denton County and do not receive services from a city with the exception of fire service.

Where can I get a Notice to Purchaser?

Please use the Contact Us form to request a Notice to Purchaser.

What is the Open Meetings Act?

The Texas Open Meetings Act honors the priniciple that government at all levels in this state should operate in a way that is open and accessible to the people and allows the public to view the deliberations of elected officials. Texas law does allow closed meetings in certain limited circumstances, however. To learn more about the Open Meetings Act, visit the Secretary of State’s website.

How do I start new serivce or update my account information?

Please refer to the Utilities tab and select your neighborhood for more information.

Where do I report street flooding, clogged drains or other water?

Please report any water-related issues to our customer service team using the Report a Problem form.

Where can I find my tax statements?

Statements from the Tax Assessor/Collector can be found here.

What can I recycle?

Our recycling service is provided by Rhino Removal. See what items can be recycled here.

When is bulk trash collected?

Bulk trash collection occurs during the first and third weeks of each month. For a list of acceptable items, visit Rhino’s website.

How do I sign up to receive Emergency alerts from the District?

You can sign up for text message and email notices online here.

How do I opt out of receiving emergency alerts?

You can opt out anytime by replying “Stop” to the text message.